Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Understanding HIV/AIDS
This online course will increase your understanding of HIV/AIDS and its effect on communities. When you study this course, you will learn about the nature of HIV/AIDS, how to support those who are HIV-positive, and how the effects of HIV/AIDS can be mitigated through community health education and other efforts.
Studying this course may be a good option if:
- You want to give support to HIV/AIDS patients.
- You want to gain an understanding of the issues relating to HIV/AIDS.
- You want to learn about aspects of counselling.
- You have just completed school, and you are trying to decide whether a career in HIV/AIDS management might be the right choice for you.
This is a non-accredited Short Learning Programme, endorsed by the Independent Institute of Education (IIE).
8 -12 months
- You must be able to read and complete assignments in English.
- You must have access to the internet.
- Define and explain the nature of HIV/AIDS.
- Evaluate the evolution and history of the virus.
- Explain the conceptual framework for HIV/AIDS management.
- Explain responses to HIV/AIDS.
- Describe the concept of the HIV epidemic and the scale of the spread.
- Describe means of transmission and spread.
- Describe and evaluate the nature of community.
- Identify key features of community development in relation to HIV/AIDS.
- Explain the nature of community health education with regards to maintaining public health and caring for people living with HIV/AIDS.
- Understand a variety of community responses (ranging from local community development projects to governmental poverty reduction schemes).
- Demonstrate an understanding of health education and its application in the community.
- Compare and contrast the issues surrounding nutrition and HIV/AIDS (including monitoring nutrition, mother-to-child transmission of the virus, and malnutrition).
- Identify the challenges to food security in communities and among individuals threatened by social or geographical risks.
- Explain the concept of health promotion and application and management.
- Demonstrate an understanding of human geography, with particular reference to the features of population growth, measurement and population segmentation and variance among sub-groups.
- Analyse poverty and social development whilst reflecting upon the differences in rural-urban location, urban regeneration schemes and improving social cohesion in communities.
- Assess and evaluate the reasons for human migration and the differing patterns and movement of populations in relation to the spread of HIV/AIDS.
- Students are required to complete 2 assignments.
- There are no exams for this course.
Upon completion of this course, students will be awarded an Oxbridge Academy Skills Certificate: Understanding HIV/AIDS from Oxbridge Academy.
The Independent Institute of Education (IIE) is South Africa’s largest registered and accredited private provider of higher education. They are registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) and is a subsidiary of ADvTECH, a public company listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
Total PRICER 4500 (ZMW 5,356)
Registration Fee: R 500 (ZMW 595)
Course Price: R 4000 (ZMW 4,761) excl. reg fee
Monthly Instalments: R 500 x 8 months (ZMW 595 x 8 months)